So many parents I’ve talked to are wondering what the BEST approach is to supporting their teens to be able to handle what life throws at them (and, honestly, how to handle the demands of living with the emotional ups and downs of a teen).
There are a number of EASY strategies that NO-ONE is talking about that are PROVEN to develop resilience in teens! (but I’m about the let these incredible SECRETS out!)
Is raising a RESILIENT teen one of your goals as a parent?
Is helping your teen to discover their PURPOSE important to you?
Are you always on the lookout for strategies that WORK with teens?
If you said YES to any of these questions, then please keep reading!
Parents today are more stressed, overwhelmed, overworked than ever before (and so are our teens!). Trial and error in parenting can be exhausting! We need EVERY SHORTCUT that we can get!
That’s why I’m so excited to share with you The Top 5 Secrets to Raising Resilient and Purpose-driven Teens
In this 3 part video series, you’ll learn
- How to help your teen overcome the inevitable difficulties in life
- The missing ingredient in most goal-setting programs
- How to help your teen connect with a sense of purpose using the “video game method”
- How to lower the risk of your teen making BIG mistakes
- How to stay connected with your teen TODAY so that you’ll be friends when they are an adult
CLICK HERE to grab your seat, and you’ll have INSTANT ACCESS to the first video!
P.S. The KEY to resilience, is in dipping into the resources that are available, and learning what WORKS! Don’t miss out on this opportunity to learn these under-used strategies for raising resilient and purpose-driven teens! CLICK HERE to grab instant access to this video series!
Here’s the secret….every teen WANTS the satisfaction of knowing what they want, and then getting it!
In fact, we ALL want over the holidays are good feels! We want the feeling of certainty of knowing what will light us up, the variety and excitement of something NEW, and the certainty of feeling SATISFIED with what we get!
Here’s what’s difficult….teens are even more susceptible than adults to the negative emotions that come up during the holiday season:
- Not knowing what they want
- Wanting something that they believe they can’t have
- Wanting something they they KNOW they won’t get
- Feeling entitled to something and having to settle for something less
- Being completely dis-satisfied with what they get because it doesn’t meet their expectations
Wanting is hard because it can lead to disappointment and rejection. Sometimes, it’s easier to not want anything. BUT, if we lose touch with what we WANT, then we miss out on the very feeling that can compel us to action. WANTING can be extremely motivating!
Settle in to WANTING something BIG!
Want an extraordinary life!
Want to feel connected to something bigger than yourself!
Want to know how to become your own best friend!
Want to know yourself a bit more deeply!
When we focus on expanding our view from the material wants, and really allow ourselves to set our vision on something greater, then we can follow the clues laying all around us to lead us in the right direction!
Not sure how to expand your view? CLICK HERE to grab a free 30 minute call with me, and we’ll get there together!
Ask your teen!
- TEEN RESEARCH: Ask your teen to make a list of gifts that they’d like for $500 or less, $100 or less, $50 or less,$20 or less, and $5 or less.This will give you a sense of what they’re interested in, and give YOU some options to work with within your budget (and to share with the Grandparents). Give your teen a deadline to get you their list.
- Focus on FEELINGS: Start a new conversation about how your teen would like to FEEL over the holidays…brainstorm together the activities that would help them to feel that way….you might discover the need for some new equipment (a snowboard or skates for winter sports) or an activity (a hot air balloon ride, a concert) that would make a great gift, AND give your teen an activity to look forward to, rather than more “stuff”.
- RANKING: Create a list of gifts that you think your teen would like, and have them rank their top 3 choices.
- GIFT CARDS: This is the ULTIMATE personalised gift, because your teen can choose what they want (within your budget, at a store they love). ITunes, movie theatres, book stores, electronics stores. Many shops also have electronic gift cards or store credit. Some shopping malls even sell gift cards that are valid throughout the entire mall.
- The “I owe U”: Does your teen want to go somewhere over spring break? Is your teen going away to college next year and already wondering how they’ll get home for Christmas? Write your teen an “I Owe U”for future travel, like “I owe U one airfare home next Christmas”. Or “I owe you a zip line tour on our next trip to Costa Rica”. Make sure you create a reminder for yourself about what you’ve promised.
The other day a good friend of mine told me this;
“Deanne, everyone thinks we’re the perfect family and that our teens are so amazing. But the truth is, it is SO hard to raise teenagers! Just the other night, our oldest son was out driving around the next town in the middle of the night, when he was supposed to be home looking after his younger brother… We’re far from perfect”
Can you relate?
Parenting teens is tough, it always has been, but in today’s fast-paced world driven by IMAGE, we’re constantly comparing how everyone else’s life LOOKS compared to how our life FEELS.
As parents, we’ve worked hard to get an education, a career, a home, a partner, have children…and just when we feel like we’ve figured out how to parent our kids, they go sideways.
They’re driving around town in the middle of the night.
They’re failing a class.
They’re getting fired from their part time job.
They’re totaling the family car with 4 of their friends inside.
Not to mention the terrifying times when we’re worried about their mental health.
When we feel on top of our game in so many aspects of our adult life, it’s hard to be right back in the vulnerable, confusing, overwhelming messiness of figuring out life with a teenager.
That’s why I’ve been capturing on camera my conversations with parents who are willing to share what parenting in real life looks like (and how it feels). I’ve put these conversations together into an incredible FREE global virtual event, so that YOU know that whatever you’re going through with your teen,
YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
We’re creating a global movement of parents who are committed to LEANING IN to the messiness of raising teens, and telling the TRUTH about how that really looks and feels. This event is called,
Wholehearted Parenting: Supporting resilient, confident and purpose-driven teens
I’ve interviewed over 21 thought leaders (many of whom are parents, but not all) to share their very best practices and insights so that you have the inner strength to work through your fears, lead your teen from the HEART, and learn to trust yourself as a parent.
CLICK HERE FOR FREE ACCESS
Through this interview series you’ll discover
- How to be responsive to your teen, not reactive
- How to trust your intuition about how to bestparent your teen (despite what all your friends and family are telling you)
- How to powerfully connect with your teen even when they’re pushing you away
- How to see the conflict you have with your teen as an opportunity for growth (theirs AND yours)
- How to step back so your child can solve their own problems
- How to reinvent your relationship with your teen as they grow into adults
<<<CLICK HERE>>> to reserve your FREE all-access pass!
This movement has the capacity to release an entire generation from comparison, isolation, and a fear of failure and give rise to a new generation of parents and teens who are willing to be lead with courage and cultivate resilience, creativity, and purpose.
Wouldn’t it me amazing to be part of a global movement of parents who are committed to leading with the heart?
The huge shift is happening. Let’s inspire wholehearted living by parenting our teens that way.
CLICK HERE for access to every interview AND more than 20 bonus resources for you and your family!
If you’re ready for a real change, I invite you and any of the parents in your life to join us for Wholehearted Parenting.
P.S. Wouldn’t it be amazing to be part of a global movement that inspires parents to lead with their whole heart? Here’s your opportunity to be part of that inspiration. Would you kindly share this with your friends, your neighbors, and any other parents who you know could benefit from hearing the TRUTH about raising teens today.
Meet Madison English, an incredible 22 year old Calgary woman with a BIG VISION!
Madison is the founder of hertime2shine.com where she is creating a community of teen women, right here in my hometown of Calgary, Alberta Canada. Madison knows that teens need a safe place to talk about what is REAL in their lives, with the support and wisdom of their peers and mentors.
Her Time 2 Shine holds space for teenage women to discover their powerful ability to embody a high level of self-worth.
I got to sit down with Madison and hear more about her incredible vision. Watch the video to discover:
- Why Madison is so passionate about creating a community of teen women.
- What teen women need that they’re not getting anywhere else.
- A time in Madison’s life when she could have used a community like this?
- What changes in the lives of young women when they feel supported.
To find out more about Her Time 2 Shine events in Calgary, visit www.hertime2shine.com
Are you feeling overworked and under-appreciated?
Have you been putting your own needs on the back-burner so that you can take care of EVERYONE ELSE?
Here’s what I know for sure:
There are seasons in our life when we need to take care of others, but when that becomes our default setting, that leads to exhaustion, resentment, and sickness!
Sometimes, we need to take a step back from our default setting, and re-calculate how we’re operating day-to-day.
If you’re willing to open up to GRATITUDE, it’s easy!
That’s why I’m so excited to invite you to join me for a GRATITUDE RETREAT.
Step back from your life for a weekend, and allow me to guide you into GRATITUDE
(It’s my superpower, and it can be your superpower, too!)
With gratitude, you shift out of stress and into your heart. Through gratitude you gain:
- CLARITY around who you are, and who you’re not
- CONFIDENCE in your ability to take care of yourself through the stressful times
- CONNECTION with your own inner spark, AND the people you love
CLICK HERE for the full invitation
P.S. If there’s someone in your life who seems to have lost their spark, please copy and paste this link, and invite them to retreat into gratitude!
Join me every TUESDAY on my Facebook business page!
Each week I’ll be offering strategies and wisdom for parents who are raising confident and resilient teens!
Join me at www.facebook.com/gratitudework
Are you wondering how to help your teen to be more resilient?
The KEY is to empower your teen! That means that as parents, we need to be more informed about where our teens really need our guidance, and where we can let go, just a little!
Over the summer my colleague, Andres Zacharias at The Empowered Teen, interviewed me for her Raising Successful Teens Global Summit.
In this interview, I share MY best tools and strategies for empowering your teen to build resilience and confidence so they can achieve success!
Want to learn more about how to empower YOUR teen to be resilient?
CLICK HERE to book your FREE 30 minute call with me, and we’ll create an action plan for YOU!
Teens are more easily distracted than ever!
Once they reach high school, they’re expected to be able to study at home, on their own.
As a teacher, I know that by this time in September many high school students are struggling to keep up with their studies. Teens struggle with time management!
It is SO frustrating (for teachers and parents) to watch teens slap together last-minute work, procrastinate, or stay up late sacrificing their sleep in order to complete their work. These tactics do not lead to academic success or mental health!
The truth is that many teens have poor time management skills because:
- There are many tasks that they’ve never done before, so they can’t estimate the time it will take
- They are highly distractible (even college-aged students!)
- They need someone to SHOW them how to manage their time
Time management is SO CRITICAL for teens to learn so that they can create healthy habits for life, and achieve the success that they desire. Teens need to learn how to schedule in their work, so that they also have some time for PLAY (which seems like slacking off, but which actually nurtures their creativity so their school work and their problem solving abilities improve).
We all wish that teens wouldn’t be SO distractible, but the reality is that THEY ARE!
Living a mindful life is all about noticing, without judging. Instead of judging ourselves (or our teens) for being highly distractible, we need to acknowledge this distractibility and work with it!
Research Psychologist and Professor Emeritus at California State University, Dominguez Hills, Dr. Larry Rosen taught me that teens need to work WITH their distractibility. I was so inspired by my conversation with Dr. Rosen, and his research on how teens study, that I created this planner for teens to use. It’s a time management tool I call
The Ultimate Reading Estimate Tool for Teens
Knowing how long it’s going to take to get through a few chapters of a bio textbook, or a novel for English class is key to balancing school work with a social life, or any kind of life! Take the guesswork out of reading with The Ultimate Reading Estimate Tool for Teens.
CLICK HERE to grab a copy for your teen!
Here’s to your teen’s academic success!
P.S. I’ve never met a teen who didn’t want to be successful. They just don’t always know how to be successful, and they don’t always BELIEVE that the smallest steps in the right direction can and will add up to success down the road. This tool can help teens to learn that small steps do result in BIG success!